Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Top 10 Films of the 21st Century

Yesterday the BBC unveiled their list of the 100 greatest films of the 21st century (2000 and beyond). As usual with lists of this type, critics from around the world were polled for their selections. And as usual, I disagreed with many of their choices. For me, engaging stories and characters always supplant self-indulgence and incoherency. But to each his own, right?

Their list reminded me that I posted my own ranking of the 21st century's top ten films at the end of 2009. Looking it over again, I found I'd keep most of my selections, albeit in different order, but there are a few I'd remove to make room for more deserving, recent releases.

Below is my revised top ten films of the 21st century (in descending order). Let the debate begin.

10. Gladiator (Dir. Ridley Scott; 2000)
9. Memento (Dir. Christopher Nolan; 2001)
8. The Artist (Dir. Michael Hazanavicius; 2011)
7. Boyhood (Dir. Richard Linklater; 2014)
6. Wonder Boys (Dir. Curtis Hanson; 2000)
5. The Royal Tennenbaums (Dir. Wes Anderson; 2001)
4. No Country For Old Men (Dir. Joel Coen; 2007)
3. 12 Years A Slave (Dir. Steve McQueen; 2013)
2. Sideways (Dir. Alexander Payne; 2004)
1. There Will Be Blood (Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson; 2007)


Honorable Mentions:

About Schmidt
Aviator, The
Brooklyn
Cinderella Man
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Contender, The
Crazy Heart
Dark Knight, The
Departed, The
Grand Budapest Hotel, The
High Fidelity
History of Violence, A
In The Bedroom
Inglorious Basterds
Life Itself
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The
Madmax: Fury Road
Minority Report
Moonlight Kingdom
Zodiac