Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Remembering Gene Wilder

Another brilliant creative light has been extinguished with the passing of beloved comedic actor Gene Wilder yesterday at 83.

My first exposure to the gentle soul with the wild hair and mischievous smile didn't come with Willy Wonka or Young Frankenstein, but rather 1976's Silver Streak.

I was six and as usual my Saturdays were spent seeing a movie with my mom. The film featured a runaway train, enough of a draw for a young boy, but I can remember instantly being drawn to Wilder's "funny" face and easy-going demeanor. He was a soft-spoken leading man, calm and articulate, until events caused his inevitable comedic "eruption," an unmatched cacophony of grunts, groans and hollers that endeared him to you even more.

I was too young to see 1980's R-rated Stir Crazy in theaters but I can remember catching it repeatedly at a buddy's house on cable and reveling in the effortless interaction between Wilder and Richard Pryor. I seem to recall "We bad" became an anthem of sorts as we strutted around the playground.

It wasn't until my teens that I discovered Mel Brooks' horror-spoof Young Frankenstein. Talk about a perfect vehicle for Wilder's talents. It became an instant favorite of mine and remains one I still seek out whenever I'm feeling down and in need of a little pick-me-up.

Gene Wilder's films are all classic pick-me-ups, like good chicken soup when your sick. They comfort, fill you with warmth and make you smile. And they'll do so for generations to come.