Thursday, June 11, 2015

Remembering Christopher Lee

The wife woke me this morning with news the great Christopher Lee had passed away June 7 at 93.

Such an imposing, eloquent actor with so many great roles over eight decades, it's hard to pick my favorite performance.

I think the first time I saw him was in Airport '77 and then in films like Return From Witch Mountain and 1941. It was years later that I found the classic Hammer horror films for which he is most remembered. Paired with the equally great Peter Cushing, I ate up titles like The Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula, The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Mummy.

Of course more recently he was introduced to a whole new generation of fans as Count Dooku in the Star Wars prequels and Saruman in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Lee was a true icon of cinema and one that will be sorely missed. At least we'll always have his films.