Friday, April 17, 2015

Criterion To Release The Black Stallion On 4K Blu-ray

Back in January 2011 I wrote a piece on five films that deserved some love for the coming year on the home-video front. One of those titles was Carroll Ballard's long-neglected 1979 classic The Black Stallion .

I mentioned how "someone like Criterion could really give this film the polish it deserves." I even talked the film up on Twitter a few months later when Criterion asked what films people wanted to see released going forward.

Well, four long years and one sub-par MGM Blu release later, Criterion announced this week it will be releasing The Black Stallion on Blu-ray July 14, with an all-new 4K digital transfer.

Suddenly, I have a film to look forward to this summer. Way to go, Criterion. Of course, I'd like to think I was the one that planted the seed.