Monday, May 9, 2011

Moms Know A Few Things About Movies, Too


Everyone have a good Mother's Day yesterday? My wife and I took the moms out for brunch and then back to the house for a few games of bingo. My wife promptly won all three games and after my mother-in-law left busted, the three of us convened to the living room to relax and watch a little TV.

We came across Smokey and the Bandit just getting started on Encore. Or at least I thought it was Smokey and the Bandit. That's what the on-screen guide said. Who was I to argue? Granted I hadn't seen it in at least five years but all the right elements were there: Burt, Sally, Jackie Gleason, Jerry Reed, the black Trans-Am. Mom wasn't buying it, though. Now she hadn't seen the original in at least 30 years, probably since the two of us saw it in the theater back in 1977, but she was adamant it was the 1980 sequel. "It's the second one, she argued. "They didn't show how Burt and Sally met."

"Their past history is implied," I shot back, the know-it-all pop-culture guru that I am. "It's the first. The second one had the elephant and Dom DeLuise in it."

So we watch for another 10 minutes or so and the elephant shows up. "See," my mom cooed, "it's the second one."

I go to the guide again. Still says Smokey and the Bandit, 1977. No mention of Dom DeLuise. "If it's the second one, where's Dom DeLuise?" I challenge. I think about it a few seconds and say, "Maybe the first one had the elephant."

"Maybe Dom just hasn't shown up yet," my mom innocently offers.

I ignore this comment. Incredulous to the end.

It's getting late and after a few more minutes of watching, my mom says it's time for her to get going. We gather up her goodies, head out to the garage and see her off. My wife and I walk back into the house, sit on the couch and who's on the screen with the elephant - Dom DeLuise.

Always listen to your mother.