Friday, May 6, 2011

Five Films Worth Braving The Cineplex For This Summer


With the release of Marvel and Paramount's Thor, today marks the official start of the summer movie season. While Thor holds as much interest to me as a Tyler Perry film, there are a handful of films arriving over the next four months that do entice me enough to leave the comfy, cellphone-devoid confines of my home theater and brave the local cineplex.

Tree of Life - Terrence Malick, the poet laureate of cinema, returns with just his fifth film in 38 years. This new one starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn appears to be another meditative feast for the eyes. I'd pay to see Malick shoot weddings. (May 27)

Super 8 - I'm a sucker for these period-set, coming-of-age adventures (think Stand by Me ). With master storytellers JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg guiding the way, my sleeping bag is already packed and waiting neatly by the door. (June 8)

Green Lantern - Ever since Spider-man shot his first CG web in 2002, I've been waiting for a Green Lantern movie. He's been one of my favorite super-heroes since the days of the Saturday-morning Super Friends cartoons. C'mon, a ring forged by intergalactic aliens that can enable you to fly and manufacture anything you can think of? Not even Superman can touch that. The story and effects look pretty cool and no, not even Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively can dissuade me. (June 17)

Captain America: The First Avenger - The first comic book I ever bought was a Captain America annual (its' still buried somewhere in my mom's garage). Cap's been kicking evil's ass for 70 years, just as long as Superman and Batman. It's downright embarrassing that it's taken him this long to get his first movie. While not completely sold on Chris Evans as Cap, with Joe Johnston ( The Rocketeer ) directing, this one looks to be an old-fashioned adventure in the spirit of the Saturday matinees of my youth. ( July 22 )

Amigo - Independent maverick John Sayles returns with his first feature in four years. His new one, a drama starring Sayles veteran Chris Cooper and set during the Philippine-American War at the turn of the 20th century, looks to be another richly textured, character-driven gem. I've been a fan of this guy's work since high school. ( August 20 )