Friday, December 27, 2019

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker A Satisfying Conclusion to a Saga 42 Years in the Making

Walking out of 1983's Return of the Jedi as a twelve-year-old I was pretty sure I'd seen the last of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo.

It had been an incredible six-year, three-movie run, defining my childhood like bookends, but Darth Vader and his emperor were now dead, the second Death Star and pretty much the entire Imperial fleet had been destroyed during the Battle of Endor. Our heroes had won and restored peace to the galaxy.

George Lucas had talked of another trilogy but that would tell the story of young Anakin Skywalker, the fall of the Jedi and rise of the Empire. No, I was pretty sure if I wanted to know the further story of Luke, Leia and Han, I'd have to make it up myself. And I was fine with that.

Flash forward 32 years later to 2015 and Star Wars: The Force Awakens hits theaters. It's a direct sequel to Return of the Jedi, the beginning of a new trilogy featuring different, younger characters, but also Luke, Leia and Han in supporting roles. I'm skeptical at first, but by time the closing credits role, I'm on board with this next generation of freedom fighters and excited for the revelations to come.

But then 2017's The Last Jedi is released and quickly erodes all the excitement and hope I had felt with its dysfunctional, polarizing storyline, not to mention killing off its two most interesting characters (Luke and Snoke). Leaving the theater, I seriously had lost all interest in the new trilogy going further.

So, even with the promised inclusion of original trilogy stalwarts Lando Calrissian and Emperor Palpatine, it was with great hesitation and obvious trepidation that I returned for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

I purposely stayed away from spoilers, didn't read any reviews. As I walked into my favorite theater last Saturday afternoon and plopped my self down in my regular seat, I admit I looked forward to what awaited me for the next two hours. But to be honest, I didn't expect much.

And to my great surprise, I actually enjoyed the film for the most part. It wasn't perfect, but it was a hell of a lot better than The Last Jedi. I actually cared about the new characters again. Even the wife cried at the end. 

Overall, a satisfying conclusion to a saga that's been a part of my life for 42 years.