Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Ask & You Shall Receive II: The Hindenburg Now Available On Blu-ray

Well if I knew it was going to be this easy I would have spoken up a long time ago. Yes, another title on my recent Five Films That Still Deserve Some Love in 2017 post has finally arrived on Blu-ray: Robert Wise's The Hindenburg.

With no advance notice, Universal quietly dropped the 1975 disaster flick as a Walmart exclusive on Tuesday. No word yet on any extras, although with a $9.96 list price it's probably just the film and nothing more.

Kind of surprising that Universal released the 42-year-old film themselves, opting not to follow the growing studio trend of licensing deep catalog titles to a specialty label like Kino Lorber.

However it found its way to store shelves, this is great news for a film I've enjoyed since childhood. Looks like I'm headed to a Walmart this weekend. Two down, three to go.

I also wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the passing of veteran televison actor Richard Hatch yesterday at 71. Hatch is best known for playing Apollo on the original Battlestar Galactica series from 1978-'79, another one of my favorites from childhood.

Paired with Dirk Benedict's Starbuck, the duo's weekly galactic scrapes and tussles made for some pretty thrilling Sunday nights at my house. He'll be missed.

Update 2/10/17: It now appears The Hindenburg Blu-ray will go into wider distribution May 2, carrying a $14.98 MSRP (Amazon has it up for pre-order now). I actually picked up a copy yesterday at Walmart. No extras, just the film. Last two on the shelf.