Friday, December 12, 2014

Top 5 Albums of 2014

Looking over Entertainment Weekly's Top Albums of 2014 I suddenly feel very old. Of the 10 artists listed, I’ve heard of one: Beck. Run the Jewels? Perfume Genius? FKA Twigs? Who the hell are these people?

Music has been an integral part of my everyday life since I was 13 years old, 31 years to be exact, and I’ve always been “hip” (I feel old just writing that word, even more so enclosing it in quotation marks) to new trends and emerging artists. While my wife is content to confine her musical palate to the '80s and the likes of Bon Jovi and Adam Ant, I’ve always sought out and extolled new music: The White Stripes, Arcade Fire and Kings of Leon, to name a few. I read Rolling Stone. I check in with iTunes every Tuesday to see what’s new. When did I suddenly become Rip Van Winkle rising from a pile of Doobie Brothers and Three Dog Night eight tracks?

Fortunately for geezers like me, there were some standout releases in 2014 from artists we’ve actually heard of. Below are my top five of the year.


1. The Breeze - Eric Clapton & Friends: Slowhand's exceptionally crafted 16-track tribute to the late singer/songwriter J.J. Cale features collaborations with Tom Petty, Mark Knopfler, Willie Nelson and John Mayer and was easily my most listened-to album of the year. Just a bevy of the world's top musicians doing what they do best. Can't ask for much more than that. Favorite Tracks: Someday, Sensitive Kind.

2. Lazaretto - Jack White: The eclectic Detroit rocker's follow-up to 2012's Blunderbuss is another highly creative 11-track set of soulful mood and contagious rhythm that debunks the sophomore slump rule and forever earns White a spot on my elite "blind purchase" list. Favorite Tracks: Would You Fight For My Love?, That Black Bat Licorice.

3. Songs of Innocence - U2: The iTunes download debacle aside, this long-awaited follow-up to 2009's No Line on the Horizon is a satisfying 11-track blend of arena rockers and introspective ballads that proves our favorite Irish quartet is still capable of delivering timely, relevant music 30 years after The Unforgettable Fire. Favorite Tracks: Song For Someone, Raised By Wolves

4. Standing In The Breach - Jackson Browne: What astonishes me about Jackson Browne at age 66 is that his voice remains as velvety smooth as it did 40 years ago. Seriously, this new 10-track collection of laid-back, country-tinged tunes could just as easily be a product of 1974 than 2014. And like those richly textured releases of yesteryear, this one is perfect for the long drive home or a lazy Sunday morning. Favorite Tracks: You Know The Night, Standing In The Breach

5. Ride Out - Bob Seger: The iconic blue-collar belter's 17th studio release, his first in six years, offers a nice blend of hard-hitting toe-tappers and soulful ballads and reminds us that one of the best voices in rock history can still deliver 'em right between the eyes, even at 69. Seek out the deluxe version for five additional songs. Favorite Tracks: The Devil's Right Hand, Listen


Dec. 19: Top 5 Blu-Rays